ITUNI LODGE No. 2642
Over earlier years Lodges were warranted in Berbice, but for a variety of reasons they eventually ceased to exist. In 1896, an Englishman, Brother William Heather Parratt an engineer with the sugar industry in Berbice, with several doctors, lawyers, civil servants and businessmen, agreed that another effort be made to re-establish Freemasonry there.
The name Ituni was suggested by
Brother Parratt, being the name of the steamship
which brought him to
The Warrant was approved on December 29, 1986 and Ituni Lodge was consecrated on September 29, 1987 in the
upper storey of the
The Petitioners were Dr. Arthur Matthey,
William Heather Parratt, Neil Ross McKinnon, William
Francis Law, William Alfred Douglas, David William Aug McKinnon, Joseph Edward
Godfrey, Henry Hutt Cummingham,
The First Officers were: Bro. Dr. Arthur Matthey W.M
Bro. Wm. N. Parratt - S.W
Bro. Neil R. McKinnon - J.W
Bro. David W. A. McKinnon - Treasurer
Bro. Dr. Isaac H. Ross - Secretary
Bro. Joseph Godfrey - D.C
Bro. Dr. Wm. F. Law - S.D.
Bro. Alex L. McEwan - J.D.
Bro. George Sanford - I.G.
Bro. John C. Haly -
At the meeting of the Lodge in June, 1904, a motion was passed that the property at Lot 9 Queenstown, New Amsterdam with building thereon be acquired for a Masonic Hall for $1,000.00 and was occupied for the first time on September 30, 1904.
Through W. Bro. Dr. Harold Everard
Davis, “a motion was unanimously carried for raising $4,000.00 by debenture
bonds at $10.00 each for extension and reconstruction along strict Masonic
lines.” The new
Later, once more through the efforts of Bro. Dr. Davis and his Officers, there was added and presented as a gift to the Lodge, a tower and entrance porch or “winding staircase” on St. John’s Day, June 25, 1928.
The original meeting day, was the first Wednesday of every month. This was subsequently changed to the last Monday of the month. The Installation of the new Worshipful Master takes place on the last Saturday in the month of September every year.
Ituni Lodge celebrated its
50th Anniversary on September 20, 1947. The Master was Bro.
Ferdinand J. July, a sanitary engineer of
Over the years, the ravages of the weather took a heavy toll on the building, and as a consequence renovation works commenced in 1990. With grit, determination and commitment, the Officers of the Lodge, led by the respective Masters, and with the support and co-operation of the Brethren of Ituni and sister Lodges and above all the District Grand Master and District Grand Lodge, the building stands today in majestic beauty once again.
Outstanding in their leadership of the restoration efforts were Brothers Dr. Royston Arthur Evanson Anderson (1996-1997) and Gordon Washington Vandenburg (1997-1998) during whose terms of office, the major works were commenced and completed.
Through the generosity of W. Bro. James Bacchus, the Lodge obtained an electric keyboard. It was dedicated by the District Grand Master, R. W. Bro. Peter Alfred Taylor at the Installation of W. Bro. Vandenburg on September 27, 1997.
The Centenary of the Lodge was celebrated with a grand and memorable meeting on August 29, 1998. The District Grand Master and Officers of District Grand Lodge, along with the District Grand Master (Scottish Constitution) and his Office Bearers and Freemasons both local and overseas were in attendance.